RE: rain sticks....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:29:28 -0500

Rainsticks are a Native American instrument, made from dried cactus. The one
that was donated to CAM had a tag describing the technique used to make
them, but did not specify what Native American Nation. Obviously it would be
a culture in the American desserts, but you still would have to look at
cultures in a good part of 2 continents. Anyone with more specific
knowledge. I would like to know also. The rainstick we have was brought back
by a patron from New Mexico, but was obviously a tourist item.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of L.P. Skeen
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 1999 8:26 PM
To: GETTY
Subject: Re: rain sticks....

Michal Austin wrote:

> I do rainsticks with my middle school every year (I'm K-12). I used to
> do them with my high school, but found I needed a simpler 3-D project
> for Jr. High.

I have a faboo source of heavy-duty cardboard tubes that I can use to make
rainsticks. What I need now is to know the cultural significance of said
rainsticks. Are they from Native American culture?

--
Lisa Skeen          ICQ#15554910    http://www.living-tree.net
Living Tree Pottery & Soaps,  Summerfield, NC