Re: literacy and art education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Susan Bennett (sbennett)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 20:19:12 -0400

I would say selectively. I encourage reflection after the process, but never
prior. I want them to explore often in a non verbal way. Words can come
later. Susan
-----Original Message-----
From: Christine Colera <cmcolera>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, October 10, 1999 3:12 PM
Subject: literacy and art education

>I am a new subscriber and a first semester student teacher in San Diego. I
am taking a reading methods class and have to write an I-Search paper. I
have a question that I could use some personal reflections and examples for.
Here is my question -

>In the art classroom, do teachers find it more effective to have students
formally write their brainstormings, possible assignment directions,
intentions and personal critiques? Do these written descriptions and
analysis help the students to perform better, create more thoughtful works
or can it inhibit other important creativity? Does this format work good
for all students and should it be exercised in every assignment or is it
something to only be used selectively?

>Please if you have any suggestions or other book, journal, etc. references,
it would be grand. I can't wait to become an active member. Thanks.