Re: quick activity

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Hause (smhause)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:27:57 PDT

Give the students one piece of 6X9 black construction paper(one half the
size of the white) and 9x12 white tagboard. I explain how the black is the
positive space or one half of their composition. The white is the negative
space. Their assignment is to use ALL of the black paper and create a
composition that is either realistic, conventional or stylized or abstract.
That way 50% is positive and
50% is negative. We discuss the principles of design such a balance, rhythm,
emphasis, etc. I also show them the cut paper pieces of Matisse. They must
cut the paper into at least 9 cuts minimum. Some decide to do formal
balance and use a mirror image composition while others use informal balance
and must figure out how to use the pieces that are left over form cutting
out the positive areas. Every project is successful and we are all always
amazed by the diversity.

Sharon in WI