RE: cut colored construction paper

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:15:44 -0400

I mentioned Notan the other day and someone sent in the book information -
one of the activities is a two color or black and white design with no
scraps - kind of like an exploding square design (positive/negative
study)... Have a 6 x 9 piece to cut, and a 12 x 18 background piece. Cut
only on the sides and flip on the line of symmetry... don't glue yet because
you can cut out of the first cut piece and flip back the new piece over the
line of symmetry (or reflection) - can be detailed and identifiable
(flowers) to just designs - start with smaller paper and they can do a few
that get more complicated as you go on -

Homage to a Square activity - cut out 1", 2" and 3" squares of different
colors - have the students come up with 12 arrangements of colors (look at
Amish quilts). I did this with 5th graders to reinforce color theory - they
had to have 12 specific arrangements - all of the units were glued on black
paper (primary, secondary, value change - one hue (monochromatic), value
change - three hues, complimentary pair + one, change the order of previous,
white/gray/black, warm colors, cool colors, analogous, your choice for
two...)

relief paper sculptures of lines - cut out strips - curl, twist, flip,
fold... have a mat board base - look at Stella's reliefs -

Ellen