Re: art theory Q for y'all: Abstract/"Decorative" art and Sex/Racism:

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:03:19 -0400

Eliza Jones wrote:

> "Some years ago I noticed that the most taboo thing you could say about an
> abstract painting was that it was decorative. After some thought I realized
> that this taboo was both racist and sexist." -Joyce Kozloff, visual artist
>
> There's a quote from one woman artist and a good starting point for a heated
> discussion!

As a woman. you have more insight into this thought than I--but as an artist I
can translate it for you into a more common situation from everyday life as:
"Guys always liked the pretty girls, so we tried to talk dumb and make ourselves
look pretty just to attract them; but now who gives a hoot what guys think?
We're going to be just what we want to be---"

Best wishes,
Joseph

  • Reply: Kimberly Anne Herbert: "RE: Feeling Unorganized!"