Re: reading and writing in art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 17:18:06 -0700

Stephanie Sack wrote:

> I have a question about the use of reading and writing in art classes that
> my literacy in the content areas class has raised for me. Do practicing
> teachers actually use reading and writing in art classes or is it just
> something teacher training programs teach you about to then be left behind
> once you start actually teaching? How angry would the average high school
> art student be if you handed them a 5-page article to read and respond to?
> I understand the value of learning about these things, but I am still
> wondering about the practicality of it.
> Steph

Well, they will certainly whine and complain because that's what
teenagers do, but TOUGH. Once they see that you mean business,
and this is part of the class, they'll get used to it.

There are lots of ways to slip in reading and writing in the art
room. For some projects, especially the 3D ones, the students
receive a handout that they must read and work through before
beginning a project. The handouts force them to put some thought
into their projects and justify their decisions. The minimum
criteria are listed, also.

The current assignment for each class is posted on the board with
the steps that need to be taken and the criteria for grading.
That way, I don't have to answer, "What do I do now?" 25 times
each period. I just point to the board. The students at my
school have a very difficult time with English, sequencing,
following directions, etc., and this forces them to practice.

All of our critiques are written. This way, every student has to
participate rather than just a few vocal ones.

Extra credit projects require some reading, writing, and critical
thinking. I'll bet once you start examining your curriculum,
you'll also find ways to sneak in reading and writing skills.

Maggie