RE: Sub plans

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:19:08 -0400

Stephanie-your point about subbing is well-taken and it's nice to know
you're out there. Unfortunately, I think you're the exception rather
than the rule.
RE: writing and reading: I use it a good bit for a variety of
reasons, not the least of which is that my system has been stressing
reading/writing across the curriculum. Some of the things I do that are
not just the standard read something and write about it are: using
quotations as sketchbook/journal assignments in which the kids have to
interpret, analyze, argue the point, or relate it to their own lives.
Sometimes they have to illustrate it. We also do descriptive writing,
interpretation, analysis, etc. Major projects are required to have a
written plan submitted. Reflection sheets are used to think about their
own work. My honors students are required to attend exhibits and write
about them. Secondly, I think writing is an important skill, and one in
which my students are weak. I try to help them build wider vocabularies
and write well. Also, because of something called an ABC plan in this
state, schools are scored as exemplary, adequate, low-performing,etc. I
feel that I am doing my part to help in the overall scheme of things if
I help students to improve their skills in reading, writing, math, etc.
while teaching my own subject. I do not feel that an interdisciplinary
approach or integrated lessons are harmful to, or negate my art program.
Rather, I think they strengthen it and make it more of a "real subject"
to students and staff alike. Hope this is helpful to you. Linda in NC