Re: Sub Plans for 3 days (HS)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:54:27 -0400

imho,

i've tried it both ways and have fared much, much better showing a video. a
drawing/sketchbook activity wouldn't be too bad, i guess, but i haven't had
good luck with subs encourging kids to work rather than fool around. when
my ms'ers see a sub, they think, "party time!" they have told me this
themselves! and they're (normally) really super kids. i just can't handle
coming back and finding the art room trashed, supplies gone or destroyed,
projects hurriedly slopped together. i feel bad because to me this
indicates i have made them too dependent on me (they don't do that stuff
when i'm there!) but that's the way it seems to be...

ALWAYS watch any movie you show to your kids yourself first! i haven't seen
surviving picasso yet but have heard it might be a little intense for
school...

one of my standby videos is the computer animation festival, a collection of
shorts. the kids have a two page handout packet that i made to go with the
video. they complete part of it as they watch and finish it when the video
is over. it has lots of questions about acheiving artistic effects,
communicating with images, and so on. there are questions that require
drawn answers, too. my students and subs have good things to say about it
and it keeps the kids' minds thinking about art!

hope this is useful info!

wendy