Re: Murals

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 21:38:18 -0400

BluesTruth wrote:

> Hi, Friends!
>
> Can we brainstorm ideas for murals? I have always had my students create
> Diego Rivera and Carmen Garza type ("Our Community or Neighborhood") murals.
> Jungle animals/Rainforest are other things we have done. I'm looking for
> new ideas!
>
> BTW: We had people from the state of Illinois visit our school today to
> write a report of the condition, educational services, etc. of our school.
> Last week, our students were told by teachers and administrators
> (threatened--more like it) that they have to be at their best behavior
> because of these state bigshots.
> Today, my classes were terrific (for a change) and all of the kids were very
> well-behaved....and then came my 7th graders....and yes, you guessed it...in
> walked a representative from the state (Surprise!!!) to observe me ---with
> the class from hell!!! The kids threw crayons, shouted obscenities,
> constantly got out of their seats, sang rap songs, ran into the halls and
> around the classroom, etc. THIS is what this lady saw today! It was a
> nightmare! I really tried to settle the kids down, but no luck! I went up
> to the rep and sheepishly asked her to come back at another time. What else
> could I do --or say?
> When the rep left--I really laid into these kids! I told them all I can do
> is flunk them and keep them from the honor roll by giving them each a "F"
> on this quarter's report card. I'm thinking of canceling art for them
> --study hall instead. Anyone else have an experience like mine? What did
> you do?
> Thanks, everyone!
> BT (Jill)

Jill,

Don't know what to do about the behavior problems. I'm having some of
the same problems where I student teach (HS). I actually almost cried
yesterday (and that takes a lot).

As far as the mural goes, I'm thinking the future. With 2000 coming,
maybe they can do a depiction of what Chicago would look like in the
year 3000, or something like that. Like what the creator of the jetsons
did in the 60's. Just a thought.
Ricki