Re: Grading in Elementary art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L.P. Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 20:27:45 -0400

Laurann65 wrote:

> To me, an O equates to an A or a B and an S is closer to a C. An N would be
> a child that doesn't do the work or try to complete it. I guess that's my
> problem and I am worried that I might be considered an 'easy' grader. But
> then again, this is still elementary art and why should they be
> discouraged????

I don't believe a child should have to struggle for an A, but I do definitely
believe that grading is necessary. If you agree to only a E,S,N type of grading
system, then you are basically agreeing that you don't think art is important
enough to warrant a grade. I like ESN for K-2, but beyond those years, the kids
are old enough to understand that art is a subject just like anything else, and
will be graded as such, and even occasionally tested on subject matter.

--
Lisa Skeen          ICQ#15554910  http://www.living-tree.net
Living Tree Pottery & Soaps,  Summerfield, NC