Re: clay question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L.P. Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 23:10:56 -0400

Karlawald wrote:

> But I need to know how to make sure the slip will not crack off the
> white clay. Can I use red clay, or do I have to use the same kind of clay and
> change its color by adding iron oxide to it? I have a book that tells how to
> color clay, but I'm wondering if it's necessary. I have red clay that could
> be watered down and painted on if that would work.

Karla,
If you apply the slip to pots that are still slightly damp, you shouldn't have
much problem, as the two clays will shrink together. You could also make slip
from the body you're using, just add stain or RIO.
Good luck.

--
Lisa Skeen          ICQ#15554910
http://www.living-tree.net

Living Tree Pottery & Soaps, Summerfield, NC

~*~* A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.*~*~

@}~~~ Religions should get out of politics or be taxed.~~~{@