Re: funky lettering or graffiti art lesson plans?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Michal Austin (whest177)
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 23:20:24 -0500

I do two lessons with lettering that are always big hits with my 6th graders,
both of which would work with 4th grade. Right now we're working on
complementary colors. We write our names in block letters (I will probably do
bubble letters next year), then put a dot near the center of the paper. Draw
three lines through the dot that go from one edge of the paper to the other
edge. Paint outside the letters as a color wheel. Inside the letters, paint that
color's complement.
The other project (URL below), I have the kids draw the alphabet in bubble
letters, changing the size and direction of the letters. In the negative space,
we draw patterns with sharpies, varying the thickness of the lines, etc. to
create different values. Then we color the letters with markers. An student
example is at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8184/art/abcdesign.html

Michal