Re: drying racks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 19:30:42 -0500

We have had Rack King drying racks in our school district for as long as
can remember and the students will tell you I'm as old as dirt. They have
about 42 shelves that are about 48" wide and 30" deep. They are held up
by springs and have spacers to keep the shelves apart when lowered flat.
I use a small slanted rack as a back up for overflow. I can not imagine
an
art room without one. I have been puzzled how some teachers utilize these
racks, but I have never questioned them. If it works for them then I
guess
it's ok. Personally I empty the rack every morning and move the work to
location that makes it ready for each class. As we refill the rack the
next day
we utilize each new shelf fully and then drop the next. Often I have a
student
monitor the loading. We do a lot of painting and printmaking and we
need all
the space we can find. When the last piece for that class is on the
rack we place
a tag or sign on that shelf so we know where classes separate when we unload
tomorrow. In other schools I've seen teachers direct students to just
slip the
painting in on any empty shelf available. I'd go nuts without some
sense of order
even though my order is sort of loose. My biggest problem is training
students
that there work isn't where they left it yesterday. New students want
to just
come in and pick up shelves full of wet work expecting theirs to be
about in the
middle where they put it yesterday. I believe the Rack Kings cost about
$400
about 20 years ago. I see one in Sax about the size of mine for $905 to $1040.
I hope some of this is of value. Woody in KC

--
the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04
             http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html