Re: funky lettering or grafiiti art lesson plans?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bicyclken
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 19:01:46 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/99 6:21:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ejones writes:

> Does anyone have a lesson plan based on lettering? My inner city
> 6th-9th graders love bubble letters and graffiti art .

In my commercial art class, I have them do an illustration with a word as the
starting point. They are supposedly working for a magazine and the editor
comes to them with a story about..........? and they are to make a cover
illustration for the story and the word they use should be illustrated.

What they do then is think of one of their favorite subjects and write down
words that have things to do with that subject. Like for surfing, Rip Carve,
Curl, etc.

After deciding on the word they draw out a big open letter form and write the
word on tracing paper. With other sketches of object in their subject, they
draw out and place the objects inside the letter with some exploding out.

The last part is to illustrate with any mixed media they want. Usually we
use colored pencils, pencil, ink, watercolor, airbrush (acrylic), acrylic,
tempera, conte crayon (on toned paper).

The students who like to do graffiti lettering love this because they can
create a piece and nobody yells at them.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA