RE: funky lettering or grafiiti art lesson plans?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 14:30:41 -0500

At CAM right now we are doing "Letter Art". The kid's take stencils
(positive and negative) They trace the letter, or make a rubbing of it. Then
they fill in the space with different patterns. I just had a sixth grade
group leave. They loved it. Funny how things work out. I designed the
activity for the younger elementary kids, because they usually love
stencils, but it has only been an ok activity with them.

Another fun one to do with letters is Name Insects.
1. Students fold paper in half (hot dog fold)
2. Students unfold paper
3. Using the fold line as a base line students write their name. They need
to press very hard and if you can use oil pastels they work better than
crayons
4. Fold the paper back with the name inside and rub hard (the flat part of
a ruler works well.
5. Open the paper, the lines of the name should have transferred.
6. Go over the transferred lines with the same color
7. Turn the paper in different directions looking at the pattern.
8. When you start to see something that could be made into eyes, nose, mouth
start coloring in the features with crayons or oil pastels.
9. When the design is finished, paint over the picture with water colors for
a crayon resist.

Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator