RE: funky lettering or graffiti art lesson plans?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:24:47 -0400

I just finished some letter color/space designs with fourth graders -
They had to use their initial as the subject -
I cut tag board into various sizes (2"x 3"; 4.5" x 3".... squares and skinny
rectangles) we spent two days cutting out letter patterns - I started with
showing them how to 'cut out what was not the letter' - that way they ended
up with fuller letters, instead of skinny cut outs around a written
I started out with simple letters (like bubbles) - moved to letters that
were less recognizable -
they practiced patterns on 12 x 18 paper - we talked about radial patterns,
flipping the letters for mirror images, half drops, interlocking forms...
the letters should meet in areas to create new shapes in the negative space
the final was on 15" x 20" - we talked about different color families, and
good color choices - they drew their favorite pattern, and now they are
using oil pastels to fill in - some are making the negative space stand out
more (a funky 'e' creates a repeated arrow when lined up) -
They look great -

We also did a signature design last year - do their names in a graffiti
style - we used oil pastels then too - color in the signature - use varying
widths of lines to trace around the name... the drawing should be cut into
3" squares, reassemble on paper that has a grid drawn on it - glue down -
look at Klee's signature series -

  • Reply: Sidnie Miller: "Re: Digital Cameras"