RE: funky lettering or graffiti art lesson plans?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:24:47 -0400

I just finished some letter color/space designs with fourth graders -
They had to use their initial as the subject -
I cut tag board into various sizes (2"x 3"; 4.5" x 3".... squares and skinny
rectangles) we spent two days cutting out letter patterns - I started with
showing them how to 'cut out what was not the letter' - that way they ended
up with fuller letters, instead of skinny cut outs around a written
letter...
I started out with simple letters (like bubbles) - moved to letters that
were less recognizable -
they practiced patterns on 12 x 18 paper - we talked about radial patterns,
flipping the letters for mirror images, half drops, interlocking forms...
the letters should meet in areas to create new shapes in the negative space
-
the final was on 15" x 20" - we talked about different color families, and
good color choices - they drew their favorite pattern, and now they are
using oil pastels to fill in - some are making the negative space stand out
more (a funky 'e' creates a repeated arrow when lined up) -
They look great -

We also did a signature design last year - do their names in a graffiti
style - we used oil pastels then too - color in the signature - use varying
widths of lines to trace around the name... the drawing should be cut into
3" squares, reassemble on paper that has a grid drawn on it - glue down -
look at Klee's signature series -
Ellen

  • Reply: Sidnie Miller: "Re: Digital Cameras"