Re: funky lettering or grafiiti art lesson plans?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 06:50:12 -0700

Eliza Jones wrote:

> Does anyone have a lesson plan based on lettering? <snip> I'm looking > for cool lesson plans that sneak in some
> of the principles of design while kids learn how to design their own
> alphabets or letter forms.

Eliza,

When my students begin learning about 1 pt. perspective, after a
walk-through doing boxes, they practice by drawing their initials
in block letters, in perspective. From there they write their
first name, or, if it's around the time of homecoming or
playoffs, they'll make a spirit poster with the school name or
mascot or Go Team or something. The letters come out looking
like they're being beamed up into the air by laser. These
assignments give them good practice finding all the corners and
working with curves in perspective, before we start drawing out
in the hallway.

Maggie