re: Pilgrims, K lesson

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Marvin P Bartel (marvinpb)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 23:18:04 -0500

original message
-------------------------------------
>From: "Litesal" <Litesal>
>Subject: pilgrims, k lesson

>Dear Colleagues,

>O.K. I know how some of us feel about holiday art projects, but here it
>goes....The kindergartners are studying pilgrims, and I'd like to do a
>lesson that coincides with their studies. I've racked my brains, and can't
>seem to come up with anything worthwhile. Any ideas?

>Sincerely, Leah

Ideas for Kindergarten Lessons related to Pilgrims:

For what it is worth, here is my general principle for a holiday art
projects. Look at the Pilgrim experiences for topic ideas, but base the art
lesson on actual experiences the kindergarten children have had and can
relate to. Use the children's own experiences (not the Pilgrim's) as the
basis for their media work. Select a topic with a common thread between the
experiences of Pilgrims and kindergarten children. This part requires a bit
of teacher creativity.

Some possible topics for Pilgrim lesson: "I am making a new friend" (the
Pilgrims survived by getting along with the Native Americans), "how I feel
when I am hungary" (the Pilgrims nearly starved), "what I am thankful for"
(the Pilgrims are credited with Thanksgiving), "some new food I learned to
eat" (Pilgrims learned from the Native Americans how to raise and eat corn
and hunt turkey), or "special food our family really likes to eat when we
have a celebration"

After they have done their artwork, review what they know about Pilgrims.
Ask them to tell you how their experiences are similar and different from
those of the Pilgrims. This method can teach them appreciation for the
Pilgrims and possibly help them develop healthy attitudes about persons
different then themselves. It does so without reproducing those tiresome
Pilgrim stereotypes.

This method also works for the study of art history, the study of the art of
other cultures, as well as other holidays. Children can be creative in
response to their own experiences while developing knowledge and
appreciation. It works for any age because it bases the creative work on the
children's own experience, observations, or imaginations rather than on
something far away or long ago. The learning about the the holiday, the art
history, and the other culture is facilitated by the children's own art
because it builds a frame of reference for the discussion that follows their
art making.

Marvin Bartel
Marvin Bartel, Ed.D., Professor of Art
Goshen College, 1700 South Main St., Goshen IN 46526
Office (219) 535-7592 Fax (219)535-7660
Studio (219) 533-0171
My October, 98 exhibition:
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/10-98p1.htm