Re: ID OSU ecological art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jason & Amy Metcalfe (jamet)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:42:23 -0600

Hello Mandy!

landscape, I have a couple of suggestions. Architecture is a wonderful
example of environmental design: how art can interact with and
manipulate the landscape. One such architect who might be worth looking
at is Paolo Soleri and his work in progress called Arcosonti. Soleri
combines several philosophical themes in Arcosonti: specifially
community, utilitarian use of environmental resources, and involvement
and effects of time. Arcosonti is a unique project and example of
architecture that is rich with aesthetic questions. It is also
highlighted on the Artsednet at:

http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/resources/Ecology/Issues/
soleri.html

This same site has great information about an artist named Andy
Goldsworthy who also manipulates the environment in rich, organic ways
to create beautiful environmental designs. His work is temporary; the
elements often change his creations rapidly. He does photodocument his
work and there is an abundance of reference information about him. He,
consequently, is also one the Artsednet at:

http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/resources/Ecology/Issues/
goldsworthy.html

You may also like to look at some artists who produce Earthworks, or
Land Art. Earthworks began to focus on location in art creation and was
championed in the 1960s by young avant-garde artists. Check out an art
history book and look up Robert Smithson or Michael Heizer.

You could also incorporate ancient works such as the Egyptian pyramids,
Stoneheng, Middle Eastern ziggurats, Zen rock gardens, American Indian
burial mounds, or historical works such as Mt. Rushmore into a great
lesson plans and ideas.

Good Luck!

Jason Metcalfe
jamet