Re: ID OSU

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jason & Amy Metcalfe (jamet)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:59:20 -0600

Hello Leslie,

some information to pass your way. My first reference does not
specifically focus on trees, however, I believe it provides a
complementary addition to ecological restoration. An American artist by
the name of Mel Chin focuses on ecological art through addressing issues
such as habitat devastation, land reclamation, and sustaining the
planet's diversity. There is a great resource about his work on the
ArtsEdNet at:

http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/resources/Ecology/Issues/
chin.html

It seems to me that finding ways to reclaim ecological zones would be
paramount to replanting trees (if that is one of your focuses). Chin's
work on a project entitled revival field (1990-present) looks at how an
artist can create metaphorical sculpture using a "reduction process"
similar to how sculptors work with wood or stone. Chin, however, is
"removing" contaminants from the soil with hyperaccumulator plants
(plants that leach contaminates out of the earth) as his "tools". I
think Chin's work could be included in a lesson about reclaiming
ecological environments through art and would be a great forerunner to
replanting fields of trees.

You also might like to check out the Barbara Westfall Gathering Places
site on the ArtsEdNet. Westfall is an artist who focuses on ecological
art as a way to bring people, community, and culture together.
Specifically her work entitled Daylighting the Woods. Westfall spent a
year working with young aspen trees and with open prairie controlled
burns. She photographically documented her work throughout the project
and exhibited it to illustrate the effects of, "human intervention
within the natural ecological systems." The address for this section of
this artsednet is:

http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/resources/Ecology/Issues/
westfall.html

Good luck on your research!