ID:UA Art issues - computer

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kerin Allen (kallen.edu)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:36:40 -0700

Heidi,
Your life centered project on how computers have influenced art will
probably raise issues on both sides of the fence. Those who think 'art'
cannot be generated by a machine and those who think 'art' can be generated
by any tool chosen by the artist. I have seen/heard discussions in both
arenas.
There is some great dialogue on the lisserv right now about computers
and their influences and uses in the student art world. The general
direction appears to confirm a positive attitude about the use of computers
and their subsequent artwork. The students seem to have a natural
inclination and curiosity to use them unlike some of us who find a pencil
more comfortable than a mouse.
I am inclined to run with the notion that if the tool engages the
student, and it will not adversely affect their health, USE IT! We all
learn and process information in different manners. Our basic education
system, however, uses but a handful of techniques to engage the learner.
What if our students fall outside those parameters?
This is the marvelous part of teaching a subject that is steeped in
creativity. While other teachers are duct taped to the curriculum, we are
free to incorporate, utilize, initiate and 'go for it' in the name of art.
Computers are but one of the many potential tools at our disposal (if we
are lucky). I would hope to have them in my classroom and write them into
my lesson plans. Students should have a taste of as many options as we can
give them.

I don't have much in the way of first hand knowledge in this area so the
best I can offer is my humble opinion.
Kerin Allen