Re: No Time for Rubrics / grading

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:04:06 -0600

Whoa Sandra, You sound upset. I think you could look at rubrics or guides
from a different perspective. Kids could have very simple checklists on
half sheets of papers that you have made from copies. Each student would
check off things as they complete them in their assignment. They do not
have to be elaborate guides. Actually having copies of these guides ahead
of time might save you time everytime you do any particular lesson. You
wouldn't have to be writing the same thing on the board all the time.
Anyhow it is just a thought. Everyone finds different things that work for
them.
I know what you mean by you know what an A looks like verses a "B". It
might work in art but it sure wouldn't fly in other subjects. More and more
politicians and others looking for accountability from teachers. And I'm
afraid someday someone might say the you know what an A looks like does not
satisfy them or administrators.

Hey, we all know how hard we work. Many of us are doing just as many
classes. When I did elementary I had 6 everyday with NO time in between
classes, except for lunch or a duty. I'm at a junior high now and believe me
at the end of the day when the kids leave I'm exhausted and often stay late
for catching up or working with students. Elementary teachers do not sit
down-LOL- do you think the rest of us are sitting on our duffs? Every level
has its challenges.
One last note, I know an elementary teacher who does portfolios and
sketchbooks with her 400 students. I do not think she knows what the word
"impossible" means.
MaryB