Beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marcia m eaton (marciameaton)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:06:28 -0500

From: marcia m eaton,
To: digest, INTERNET:artsednet

Date: 10/23/98 9:08 AM

RE: Beauty

Congratulations to those of you who are already incorporating aesthetic
discussions into your classes. Do students have access to computers, and
if so, might they benefit from joining in the walk? Ron and I hope that
High School and maybe earlier students might come along.
I love the idea of the Social Studies teacher who asks students to put
substititues into "The School of Athens." Challenge him or her to ask the
students if doing this in any way affects the beauty of the painting, if so
why, etc.
In order to retain the painting's beauty, would we have to substitute only
"noble" figures? On a later walk, Ron and I hope to discuss issues
concerning the connections (or lack of connections) between ethics and
aesthetics. Marcia

  • Reply: Sidnie Miller: "Re: Sid,teaching elements and principls"