beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marcia m eaton (marciameaton)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:05:35 -0500

From: marcia m eaton,
To: digest, INTERNET:artsednet

Date: 10/22/98 8:41 AM

RE: beauty

I found Carla's "ugly activity" fascinating. But of course I have a couple
of questions! You say that when the students made lists of qualities
possessed by ugly things, they came up with the very list you would have
expected for beautiful. But surely they were somehow opposities, e.g.
"horrible colors" rather than "pleasing colors"????
A general philosophical strategy is to try to get at a definition of a term
by looking at its opposite: seeing what we mean by 'diseased' to better
understand 'healthy', or 'evil' to get at 'good', or 'misunderstand' to get
at 'understand'. Clearly Carla was using this strategy here.
Question raised by Kevin's remarks: What might understanding something
have to do with finding it beautiful?
If beauty is primarily a matter of pleasing people visually then wouldn't
we expect everyone with normal sight to be pleased?
Marcia