Re: Beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Skc (skc203)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:00:35 -0400

Ron,

+ACI- It has always seemed to me that
there are certain extreme forms of bad violence (e.g. murder, rape,
hateful harming) that just can't be beautiful.+ACI- Ron said.

1) Do you think art is more about teaching the issues of aesthetic and those
of morarity?

2) What about some political issues and those of non-morarity that art
raises?
Do they have any values for art lesson?

Kevin Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: R. Moore +ADw-ronmoore+AEA-u.washington.edu+AD4-
To: artsednet+AEA-web1.pub.getty.edu +ADw-artsednet+AEA-web1.pub.getty.edu+AD4-
Cc: artsednet-digest+AEA-web1.pub.getty.edu
+ADw-artsednet-digest+AEA-web1.pub.getty.edu+AD4-
Date: Monday, October 26, 1998 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: Beauty

+AD4-Several folks have been wondering over the net about the relation between
+AD4-beauty and competition, violence, sports, combat, and so on. I think
+AD4-these questions are really fascinating. It has always seemed to me that
+AD4-there are certain extreme forms of bad violence (e.g. murder, rape,
+AD4-hateful harming) that just can't be beautiful. And I guess I think they
+AD4-can't be because their natures are so much at odds with the positive force
+AD4-appreciated in beauty-judgments. But, at the same time, I certainly think
+AD4-that various actions in sport, warfare, and competitive activities in
+AD4-general CAN be beautiful. Maybe it's important to separate the question
+AD4-of whether a given activity is itself beautiful--because it is elegantly
+AD4-peformed, is graceful, and so on--from the question of whether the moral
+AD4-quality embodied in the action is beautifu--because it is morally
+AD4-commendable to a high degree. Here again, we seem to be finding that the
+AD4-issues of aesthetics and those of morality are not at all easy to
+AD4-separate+ACE-
+AD4- Ron Moore
+AD4-
+AD4-