Re: NEA of Not

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
David Pyle (davidp)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:04:19 -0600

I didn't say that every work of art had to be subject to sale or that those
who work in the arts have to be salespeople. The need to simply 'make
something,' whether or not the results of those efforts are brought to market,
is wonderful.

But the arts are and always should be part of the community market. That's
not a bad thing. Business is fun and creative, too! I'm a painter and
ceramist, and I've spent twelve years running two businesses.

Just as the arts are about communication and relationships, business is a
highly evolved form of the same. It simply takes a different shape. Business
isn't something to feared; it can be learned and enjoyed like any other
discipline. (How many times have the most excellent of art teachers said
exactly that when talking with a student about drawing?)

To say that art should be removed from business is not only unrealistic, it
diminishes the art, as well. Your perspective on the world - whether it's
expressed via painting, dance, illustration, theatre, music (or any other form
that I've neglected to mention) - deserves the opportunity to find its place
in the larger community.

It is the artist's choice to sell or keep the work that comes from his or her
studio. At some point, however, it's a good thing to share it with the larger
community. Its reception may or may not be positive, but at least it adds to
the evolution of our culture. And business is a highly sophisticated avenue
for bringing our work out of our studios and into the community eye. The
process may not always be gentle, but art isn't either.

Best,
David Pyle
CreativEnergy