Re: Clay for clay projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 06:26:06 -0800

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> I was told once that if you found some clay that you thought might be good
> that you should mix it with water and roll it out into a snake and then
> bend the snake around into a curve--if it doesn't crack badly, it might be
> successful for pottery.

I've always done this, too. Those of you who want to use local clay should
keep in mind that very little naturally occuring clay will be adequate without
additions of something. Even Maria Martinez, when she gathered her clay, added
to it (see the PBS video). Clay almost always needs something added to either
make it shrink less, more plastic, etc. Also, test fire some tiles to check for
shrinkage.

Maggie