Re: wow

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
David Pyle (davidp)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:08:07 -0600

I finally couldn't resist adding a thought or two to this terrific discussion.

The conventional distinction between illustrator and artist is artificial.
Great art can come from clearly proscribed or narrative subject matter and as
well as a demanding relationship with a patron; witness the Sistine Ceiling, as
illustrative a piece of work as any ever produced. We should think long and
hard before going out on a limb to judge the value of one discipline over
another.

The concept that art is fundamentally removed from business is also artificial
and irresponsible. The artistic community, in promoting the notion that our
"inherent drive to make art" is somehow superior to the efforts of other members
of our community has been responsible for the corner into which we've painted
ourselves.

There are many in business, medicine, science or even day labor who approach
their vocation with passion, dedication and even an aesthetic sense that is
every bit the equal of any artist. And the premise that our work is on a higher
plane - that we don't need to be responsible to anyone or anything but our own
'vision' - has led to the marginalization that we've experienced over the last
century. Jesse Helms didn't rise from a vacuum; we've done our part in creating
him. And the attitude that art and artists are special has also been, in large
part, responsible for the struggle to keep the arts in education.

No question, the arts can be glorious. But they should also be viewed as
honorable and accountable. The arts are part of the spectrum of human
discipline and expression, no greater or no lesser than any other discipline
that makes up the warp and weft of the fabric of human experience.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I should say that I only agree in part with
Mike about the need for the arts to sink or swim entirely upon their demand
within the market. There is work that needs support from other quarters. But I
believe that public government may well be the least qualified of any
organization to evaluate and provide that support.

Best Regards,
David Pyle (I won't list any degrees)
CreativEnergy