RE: what teach elements and principles for?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:11:17 -0500

Hope you don't mind some extra answers. I teach the elements and principles
too. I teach them the 1st quarter to Art I and review for upper levels. My
rationale is that we all need to speak the same language when communicating
about art. If I talk about organic shapes, or contrast, or emphasis in my
students' work, they will need to understand the terms I am using. Aside
from that, are they not the basic building blocks of any piece of art? I
explain that every discipline has its own vocabulary, and this is ours. And
yes, I do still teach abstract expressionism because I think it helps kids
relate to the expression of emotion in artwork. Adolescents have a hard time
dealing with anything that doesn't "look real." I want them to expand their
horizons.
Linda in NC