Re: cement casting

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jennings51
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:14:47 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/1998 10:43:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sidmill.us writes:

> I have a large paper mache project which is too soft and I want to
> cover it with chicken wire and cement it over.

I did an informal workshop with a sculptor friend this summer and here is how
we built concrete sculptures over an armature. The process, or a portion of
it, might work for you. It does require a very sturdy armature.

The process and safety precautions we observed follow.

My friend had a wonderful book all about concret sculptures, but I've
forgotten thee title. I did see it on the Amazon.com listing, so if you're
interested it might turn up if you search Amazon based on key words.

Denise J.
Atlanta, GA

Concrete Sculptures

Cover armature with chicken wire use nails or horseshoe nails to adhere
chicken wire

Use needle nose pliers to twist chickenwire sections to fit armature tightly

Mix concrete until it's like thick plaster (about 1 tin cans of concrete
and 3/4 cans of H2O) and saturate an unrolled pad of medium steel wool with
it.

Apply saturated steel wool pad to chicken wire covered armature use nails
etc to adhere it if necessary. Repeat to cover the sculpture.

Let cement get firm

Wrap with stovepipe wire in crisscross pattern

Mix a cement slurry (like clay slip) and brush over sculpture

Mix cement and play sand (1 cans of sand to 1 can cement) using as little
water as possible mix should be very stiff and trowel it on and shape it.

Keep covered with plastic and moisten for at least a week or so to cure the
cement - 4 weeks is better

Safety: Wear safety glasses and sturdy rubber gloves. Handle powdered cement
carefully so you don't stir up and breath dust.