Re: ID - UBC

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
K Webster (kwebste)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 22:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 06:33:45 -0500
From: "Lauretta A. Hendricks-Backus" <lhb.edu
Subject: Picasso, Frida

lol... True confessions, I have always had a hard time with O'keefe. I
find her work totally wimpy. I know a lot of feminist put a lot of meaning
into the vaginalness of the flowers. But not me, give me a painting with
surface

Retta

Retta, I do not agree with your opinion of the work of Georgia O'Keefe but
aside from that I have found it interesting to look at her in connection
with the work of Alfred Stieglitz. He often photographed her working,
which gives you interesting insights into art process but they also
occasionally used similar subject matter but he photographed it and she
painted it. You may also appreciate her early work if you do not like the
"vaginalnes" of some of her later work.

An art gallery in Washington, I believe, hosted a joint exhibit of O'Keefe
and Stieglitz's work which I also thought was interesting.

Kris Webster