Re: ID UBC artsednet-digest V2 #1002

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy christiansen (wenchris)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:35:07 -0700 (PDT)

This is in reply to Bruce and Holly. I suggest that you look at my friend
Ken Mason's web site, Haircraft International. His work revolves around
exploration of consumerist society and the web site is a fake corporate
one in which he markets Haircraft (that's what he calls his Art). His 3-d
pieces are made from found objects culled from all over - thrift stores.
things he finds in the garbage, and human hair - and they are hilariously
funny. See if you can pick out Mr. Potato Head in his many
manifestations. In some pieces Ken has glued brightly coloured candies
and pink marshmallow things. They make you laugh suddenly, and they are
all the more peculiar because people formally owned (and discarded) the
things they are made of. Ken is recycling popular culture. His work would
be interesting to secondary kids because it is funny and relevant in a
contemporary sense.
His web address is: http://home.infinet.net/kmason or,
http://www.priss.org/haircraft