Re: what teach elements and principles for?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
skc (skc203)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 07:49:33 -0700 (PDT)

I hope you don't mind that I ask you some questions:
1)What are the values of teaching elememts and priciples of a design
to students?
2)When one talks about elements and priciples, it seems that they are
the components of abstract expressionism.
Do you think art teachers still need to consider to teach abstract
expressionism, even though the contemporary art world has paid less
attention on that.

Thanks a lot!

Kevin Smith

---Robert Alexander Fromme <rfromme> wrote:
> At 01:14 AM 10/22/98 EDT, Kim in Oregon wrote:
> >I want to make a poster for the Elements of Art and one for the
Principles of
> [...]
> space will work. This short list will keep you quite busy if your
> are in elementary or middle school.
> If the students are in high school, you may choose to elaborate your
list to
> include under color, the concepts of hue, value and intensity (or
> name, tone and saturation(purity)...or any other method of
explaining the
> aspects of color). You may also choose to explaine that light is also
> considered one of the elements and its addition to the mix now
forces us to
> consider the hues (compliments of reflected light) and the
compliments of
> projected light. (Yellow, Red, and Blue of surface color primaries
vs. Red,
> Green and Blue primaries of light ....or if you really want to get
> into color, try your hand at the CYMK , Blue, Yellow, Red and Black
used in
> printing many computer generated color images. )
> If you also want to add to the student's confusion, you can throw in
> and physical movement as two additional elements which are
important in the
> creation and appreciation of many recent works.
> So, if you want the long list, you can include; point, line, shape,
> reflected color (with its three aspects), texture, shape, form,
space, light
> (with its color, brightness, contrast and intensity), time and
> motion. These are also the elements which one usually confronts in
> traditional college curriculum, yet, they will probably create more
> then they solve if they are all included as part of the learning in
> early grades.
> Perhaps the primary lesson for any discussion of the elements of art
> involves their interconnected roles in the organization of form.
> know.......lines and colors and value and textures can all serve to
> shapes or varied lines can be compressed to create the illusion of
> or compressed more to suggest value which can suggest shadows and
forms in
> space (stiippling, hatching, crosshatchiing, etc, etc, etc,)
> Now, your choice of principles in the list will also serve you best
if you
> can look at the particular art works that you want to examine in the
> and then include those principles which can be demonstrated as you
look at
> formal structure in those work. Here, you will discover that the
> have a way of doubling up on you, or like animals headed off to the
> their concepts can be best be communicated and understood if you
look for
> opposites and teach them as if they are antagonistic couples. For
> to understand unity one must understand the lack of it. To understand
> emphasis, one must grasp the concept of support or subordinate.
> makes little sense unless we understand stability Contrast, variety
> elaboration are most effective if we have a foundational
understanding of
> unity, harmony and simplicity. Balance requires an appreciation of
> lacking balance. Rhythm and repetition are of little help unless we
> understand singularity and the lack of syncopation. Proportion and
> have little to offer until we understand the disturbing effects of
> and non-sequential relationships in space. Economy of effort is best
> understood against an appreciation of the ornate and some experience
of the
> "overworked."
> I have probably missed something here but this should get you started.
> Perhaps you can look over the list and see what you want to include
in your
> list. You can mention that all of this...(this word game hinting at
> visual, tactile world of art) has a long tradition spanning the
history of
> our craft. Master, trying to explain formal relationships to
> master trying to make some sense out of the work of another
> struggle goes on. Now, with conceptual or "idea art" and directions
> events, multimedia, technology, and telecommunication, one wonders
what new,
> non-verbal concepts will have to depend of somewhat less then
effective new
> words added to our list of elements and principles of in the visual
> Good luck with this project. Make it serve you and your students
in your
> classroom. You don't need all those concepts hanging on your wall
unless you
> intend to talk about them.
> Bob

Get your free address at