Re: cement casting

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 07:26:19 -0400

Sidnie Miller wrote:
> How much danger is
> using cememt--I know people who work in it for a while develop all kinds
> of skin problems--does it take a time factor??

If I'm correct cement contains lime---and shouldn't be worked by
hand--it's an industrial building material that's best handled by guys
in cement trucks, or rubber boots, rubber aprons, and long, long rakes!

Plaster, or related materials such as hydrocal, hydrostone ($$$) are
more appropriate for art projects. In California, an excellent,
inexpensive material is known as Casting Plaster (also known as Plaster
of Paris--but then the price will triple)--get it from a building
materials company, about $12 per 100lb.

Students should wear aprons, dust masks and latex (or better) waterproof
gloves when working. However, it's a messy material and you may never
get the artroom clean again!

Best wishes,
Joseph