Re: ID.OSU--Victims of War

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
David Pyle (davidp)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:06:26 -0600

You couldn't find a better starting place than with Maya Lin and the Vietnam
Memorial. The PBS video on same is excellent, presenting the work from
conception to completion. it also presents many of the dissenting voices, as
well.

This is also a great chance to introduce Picasso's Guernica,and its role in
history. You can use it for an integration on the buildup to WWII, not to
mention ethics, aesthetics, and the role of art in political activism.

Precisely because of their sensitivity to death and dying, middle schoolers may
welcome a unit on this topic. It will provide a forum for them to discuss and
address these issues head on.

Best,
David Pyle
CreativEnergy