Re: garden tiles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:15:09 EDT

if cost is a factor, you could use aluminum pie tins. Reinforcing them with a
light wire will help, but if they are placed on flat ground they should hold
up pretty well. If they are placed on uneven ground, they will break when
someone steps on one of the edges. I have seen the paver stone molds in
Gardener's Supply or Gardener's Eden and are around $10 each. The key is you
can use the mold over and over, so it might not be too bad. Of course, it
would be way more interesting to use the pie tins and figure out how to make
it an actual art project for the kids! I think marbles pressed into the
cement in different designs could be very cool. (yes, you can use regular
instant-type cement) good luck!

<<One of my parents works at a children's home. They want the children to
make garden tiles/cement paver type things. Has anyone done this? I know
there are kits, but that is cost prohibitive.
I told here I thought they could use pizza boxes for molds (plastic lined?)
and regular cement.
Are items (shells, marbles, pottery shards) added when it starts to set?
Can they press their hands in it? Write in it (that's a stupid question -
isn't that what everyone sees in sidewalks etc?... - when do they write in
it?) Is there a curing period? Should they add a chicken wire
reinforcement in the middle of the tile? I've made cement bird baths with
kids - I didn't know if it was the same.
Any thoughts?