loathesome juggling

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Peggy Woolsey (woolspeg)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:13:33 +0800

mp wrote:
>In my opinion, this
>student should consider becoming a professional artist and get her degree in
>that field now. Teaching may or may not come later for her. But follow your
>heart.

This is a wonderful sentiment, but me thinks that many art teachers
struggle with the demands of their personal artistic development and the
simultaneous demands of teaching. I have colleagues who come home from
teaching all day and paint until 1 or 2 in the morning. If they could,
they would be painting full-time. Kids and mortgages disallow this and
teaching is their financial mainstay. Not that they aren't good teachers.
They are--dedicated, motivated, caring and all the rest. Plus they are
"real" artists. (Plus I think they might be "real" tired).
Personally I have alot of difficulty reconciling the artist/teacher
profession. I do not have enough time for my own work. What else is new?
Besides family etc., the teaching definitly comes first. It has to. My
development as an artist is not addressed in the classroom. The need to
focus full time on this development appears to be drawing nearer. I
understand the original writer's torment. Peggy

  • Reply: Sidnie Miller: "Re: loathesome juggling"