Re: garden tiles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
robertb713
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:41:08 -0500

did a project similar to this a couple of years ago. the kids made
pavers that were 2'x2'x4"thick. it was part of a construction/sculpture
project in which we made around 100 of them so i had the kids make forms
out of wood - 2x4's.... they used motor oil to grease the sides of the
mold for easy slip out. it was in the middle of the summer in texas heat
so they were dry in a couple of days. they used regular cement and we
had an concrete dye to make different colors. the kids went out in the
neighborhood and found objects which were representative of them and
their community. they put bottle caps, bathroom tiles, small metal
pieces on the bottom of the mold and poured the concrete on top. after it
dried we tapped the paver out of the formwork and had the completed form.
for handprints, we poured the concrete in the form and after a while
when the concrete was mid dry we put hand prints in the concrete. once
it was completely dry we tapped the paver out of the formwork and filled
in the handprint with a stuco paint which added color to the hand print.
other students put in bubble wrap to make bubble like designs... just
grab a bag of concrete and explore and have fun, some of them will work
some won't. it's part of the fun. good luck!
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:21:09 -0400 "Sears, Ellen"
<ESears.us> writes:
>One of my parents works at a children's home. They want the children
>make garden tiles/cement paver type things. Has anyone done this? I
>know
>there are kits, but that is cost prohibitive.
>I told here I thought they could use pizza boxes for molds (plastic
>lined?)
>and regular cement.
>Are items (shells, marbles, pottery shards) added when it starts to
>set?
>Can they press their hands in it? Write in it (that's a stupid
>question -
>isn't that what everyone sees in sidewalks etc?... - when do they
>write in
>it?) Is there a curing period? Should they add a chicken wire
>reinforcement in the middle of the tile? I've made cement bird baths
>with
>kids - I didn't know if it was the same.
>Any thoughts?
>Thanks,
>Ellen

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]