beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marcia m eaton (marciameaton)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:21:21 -0400

From: marcia m eaton,
To: digest, INTERNET:artsednet

Date: 10/19/98 7:18 PM

RE: beauty

It's exciting to see some discussion as a response to the Philosophers'
Forum website. Ron and Marilyn and I will eventually work out a schedule
for replying, but here are some initial thoughts. One of the discussants
(Kevin) mentions that he will share the thoughts of his students. I really
look forward to this, since Ron and I hope that not only teachers but
students will get involved in our discussions.
Certainly the Romans enjoyed violent spectacles---as many people do today.
But how can one know whether their enjoyment is aesthetic enjoyment--that
is, enjoyment of beauty, for example---and not some other kind of
enjoyment? Will anyone that shows the greatness (e.g. power) of Rome
automatically be beautiful?
I agree that "heroic battles, strength, honor, and human feats of bravery"
can be beautiful, but MUST they be beautiful? Is every brave act
beautiful? What models do students have for these things besides war and
sports? A similar questions can be raised here to the one above: is our
admiration of an heroic battle aesthetic admiration? How do we know when
or if our enjoyment or admiration is aesthetic or not?
Look forward to hearing more from you. Marcia Muelder Eaton