Re: Gifted, Schmifted

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:25:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 BluesTruth wrote:

> (Methinks it's a form of bigotry and prejudice--the bigger the pocketbook you
> have-- the more gifted you are).

I feel I must respond to the above misconception. First of all money, has
nothing to do with it. In fact, our program started as an integration
program and we are 60% minority. Most of our students are "poor" or they
would probably be attending one of the many private school in LA instead
of the second largest (and urban) school district in the country. Many of
them ride 1-2 hours each way on a school bus to attend our program - LA
Unified has 625 schools and many miles of territory.

Why is it bigotry to acknowledge that some people are more gifted
academically than others, but not bigotry to acknowledge that some people
are more gifted artistically or athletically than others? I've never
understood that.

Hope this helps clarify another view of the issue.
--Carla