(no subject)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:17:23 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps my program's name has sparked the "what does highly gifted mean?"
questions. In Los Angeles, it has a very specific meaning. It means the
students in the program have all tested at 145 or above on IQ tests
administered by the school district. Does this mean that those that don't
test that high are not HG or that all those that test that high are? Of
course not, but it's the measure that the district has used to identify a
bunch of kids who have a high probability of certain academic special
ed-type needs. I see them as the other side of the coin from traditional
special ed kids. HG kids often don't do well in regular classes - boys
especially tend to act out or disrupt the class. They tend to get picked
on as being "nerds" in regular classes, and often have disparate abilities
in different subjects which simply accelerating them up a grade or two
wouldn't cure. The IQ tests don't test ability in art or music or sports,
etc. so the distributuio of ability in those subject is as varied as in
any typical school population.

Hope this helps!
--Carla

Carla Schiller, Esq.
Teacher, Highly Gifted Magnet
North Hollywood High School, CA
e-mail: charwitt.us
"Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it."