Re: food and art ID. OSU

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Artedsusan
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:42:50 EDT

Hi! You don't mention your grade level, but there are a number of projects
that you could do with empty fast food wrappers. Have the students bring them
in and you could set up a still life. use cartons for a base for a wire
sculpture. Make a sculpture out of the wrappers and paint them --maybe in
Nevelson style. wad up the wrappers and use them as a core for paper mache.
Talk about how much trash there is and how much time they actually used these
wrappers while they were eating. Discuss ways to reduce the amount of trash
they produce themselves such as, gasp, not eating at fast food restaurants.
Find stats on the internet about the waste in the US maybe from the National
Recycling Coalition or a state Recycling Coalition chapter if your state has
one. It is crazy how small a percentage of waste actually gets recycled and
NOTHING breaks down in a landfill. The latest I heard was that each person
produces 3 lbs. of garbage a day. There is a movie from PBS under the 123
Contact label that is great for elementary age kids. It is actually kids
interviewing adults at landfills and recycling centers etc. about what happens
to our trash and what we can do about it. I was in the recycling industry in
a past life and am helping a fifth grade teacher set up a red worm bin in her
classroom this week to recycle food waste. In a short time the students are
going to see first hand how much food waste they have just from their lunches
when their worms won't be able to eat all of the scraps they have. For the
worm bedding the students are using the newspapers from my room that they did
paper mache projects on so the paper is going full circle right in our school.
Good luck! Susan Briggs