Down with graffitti

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ckart (ckupcin)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:14:27 -0500

Hi Bluestruth.

You wrote:
>to post a sign like "Please respect the art, hands off" ...something like
>that--something clever and witty!! Any ideas? Thank you !!!!!
>Bluestruth

I have a Ziggy cartoon posted over my sink that says, " This is YOUR world,
keep it nice." It is their world -- how nice do they want it to be?

Also regarding graffitti. Last Friday was "Denim Day" in our building to
recognize cancer survivors -- our principal being one. We had an early
morning coffee and celebration. However, one of the staff had hung a huge,
foot long banner, (that a number of our students had signed, congratulating
the principal) OVER artwork that I had on display in the hall. This is
display space that is reserved for student artwork. To me this was just as
bad as graffitti! I let it be known that this was a big no-no. The
individual who hung it felt it would be okay, because it would "just be
there for a day."

Yes, I felt bad that I had to take issue, (the intentions were well meant,
and I truly admire my principal). But it really did look tacky, because
being plastic, you could see through the banner to the partly obscured
artwork. I took artwork down from the other side of the hall and re-hung
the banner there. And that was my point -- if they want to hang something
let me know and I will remove the artwork. But they may not cover up
displayed work. By the way, it's a week later and the banner is still
hanging -- I'll let them decide when to take it down :)

Cheryl