Re: Rowdy middle scool students in a recent transfer - + Discipline

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:00:48 -0500

Hi all,
I've been following the advice to Melissa with interest because I know the
situation she is in well. I 've worked in that district and type of student
she is dealing with at this time. She's really got some tough cookies to
handle. Let's just say Bluestruth would feel right at home with her group.
The LAST thing I would tell you Melissa is to give these kids ownership of
the discipline. They will make a joke of it. You are in charge of the
class and let them know it. It can be done with fairness and no nonsense.
It will take time for them to trust you and fall into your routine , but it
can work with the utmost consistency.
I had to do a long term subbing for a high school art position long ago where
the kids had a different sub everyday for a month! Boy , they had no doubt I
was only there for a day too , but I proved them wrong. By sticking to my
guns ( rules) and a lot of phone calls to parents, things did get better.
They just had to learn to trust me and see what I was all about.
Bunki had some great suggestions- laugh things off and don't let them see you
steaming.
I also will discipline certain kids privately before class right outside the
classroom. Currently I have an older(retained) 7th grade transfer student
from Chicago who started acting up for class the first day. When I would
call him when he had his hand up he would give very silly comments. The next
day I met him at the door and told him that I think he is smarter than he
lets others think he is and that I was on to his games. I said I would be
happy to help him in class but would ignore him if he started to give silly
comments again. I haven't had anymore problems. May be I'm lucking out but
this, but it has worked on other occasions were I've talked to the kid
privately.
Whatever you do, set up a plan, and stick to it. Use rules (or I have a
short list of expectations) or some sort of general comment and stick to it!
I find the majority of my middle schoolers do appreciate an orderly class.
How do I know? Many have commented through the years. One thing I think that
helps greatly is too have the class start off immediately on the right foot.
Have them come in quiet and get engaged in something right away ( see the
postings on openers!). If I hear a student speaking loudly or goofing off- I
tell them to leave the room and start over so that this can be a good class
for them today.
Middle schoolers are fun and can be enjoyable with the right expectations.
I have a class that has the reputation of one of those classes from hell, but
after a week of pushing the routine everyday things are not so bad.
You can do it Melissa!!! Just be patient.

MaryB