Re: creatively gifted student/intellectually gifted student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Markowich (mikema89)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:17:12 -0400

Charlotte Griswold wrote:

> One test that we use at our school has identified a lot of gifted
> students in art...that is the Torrance Test of Creative ???Thinking, I
> think. We use other criteria in addition to id, the academically
> gifted, but this particular test relies heavily on drawing, divergent
> thinking, fluency and labeling of drawing. The plus side is it only
> takes about a half hour instead of the grueling SOI which reduced many
> students to tears...even at the middle school. Underacheivers and those
> who can better express themselves visually, love the Torrance.
> Hope this helps, Charlotte
I provide an art curriculum for 7&8th graders who are intellectually
gifted and have an interest in the Fine Arts. They are not necessarily
gifted in art so I provide a program which allows these students success
while teaching them advanced skills beyond that which is taught in the
regular artroom. To keep these students focused, I need to stimulate and
challenge them intellectually as well as in the arts. I find this group
to be somewhat different from my art club which is students who are
creatively gifted and want to learn advanced skills and techniques. They
volunteer to come to my classes which are during their advisory periods.
I love working with these groups (6th graders and 7/8 graders). They are
so excited and absorbed in their work. They love every aspect of the
arts. I never hear a complaint or "I can't do it". Does anyone else find
a difference between these two groups?