Fwd: Trashing the artroom & the Solution

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mcracker
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:10:25 EDT

--part0_908320225_boundary

From: Mcracker
To: MzVogo
Subject: Re: Trashing the artroom & the Solution
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:58:33 EDT

Wow!
I am thrilled to find that my colleagues are giving assignmnets that give kids
the chance to use their art skills in other classes. In fact, I am currently
working with an English teacher to redesign all of her lessons to incorporate
the arts. It is great fun!! When I can, I loan out supplies, with an
explanation of how valuable they are. I order powdered tempera and save old
markers, craypas, colored pencils, etc. just to loan out. Of course, I cannot
loan out all of my supplies, nor do I give kids tag or other special papers.
What I do do is talk to the teacher about why I can't help out in this case
and I loan them a catalogue and show them where to order what they need. Right
now, the sixth graders are making clay gargoyles in social studies (which I
will fire), the general music class is making ocean drums with painted designs
on both sides, the kids are making, drawing, painting (or 110 other
projects--related to lighthouses ), in 7th grade, the eighth graders just
wrote postcards to the elderly while practicing sentence forms, with a
designed side as well, and we are making posters in our Advisor/Advisee
groups. I'm thrilled! Do I run out of supplies? You bet, but not the thing I
need to complete the year, unless someone has agreed to relace it out of their
budget. But there is art all over our building---and that's what is important
to me!
Marcia

--part0_908320225_boundary--