Melted crayons- Health hazards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:12:02 -0500

Hi all,
Using melted crayons are indeed a motivating media for students, but be aware of
the health hazards. Regular petroleum based crayons (Crayola) produce fumes (when
melted) that are not healthy. If you have excellent venilation in the room it
should be fine. Also, maybe the kids might not be bothered by the fumes for a
couple of days, but do you want to expose yourself year after year to this health
hazard? I switched to the Prang soy- based crayons for my crayon batiks. They
work nicely and no toxic fumes for me or kids. As far s my left over Crayola
crayons----well I 'll have to use them for some other projects. Hmmmm, maybe some
resist work?

MaryB