Re: gifted in art and music

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:33:40 -0400

I actually have never been at a place where they have gifted art
kids. I didn't know you could be "gifted" per say. I don't like the
term, because it does separate and does not include/encourage others
with potential. They may feel left out/ not as good etc.
Can anyone tell me (Who teaches "gifted"), how in the world you test
or decide who is or isn't gifted? Is this left into one person's
decision of what good and bad art is? Is it a panel decision? I'm
ignorant when it comes to this subject? Everyone has the potential
throughout their lives to improve in art,at whatever point in their
lives they start at.
I was raised in a Quaker school through 8th grade, everyone was
together, people had potential but were not singled out. You
progressed through independent work at the level you could handle.
Didn't have set
ideas on your potential at a certain age, it was also the only
school when I was young to have a female art teacher.

Sandra

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick