Re: Challenging Advanced Student

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 12:10:11 -0400

I know exactly what you mean. I think I will have years to
contemplate and worry over my kids in school. Since the oldest is in
2nd and report after report has been him laughing with another child
and (recently getting into mischief) he's a kid. Of course he should
pay attention but why is he getting into trouble. He is bored to
tears!!!!!! I just wrote back to the teacher that he is going on his
3rd year of redundant work. This is the 3rd year of the same adding
and subtraction without advancing. He is in a Lutheran school
because our public schools are so bad. He is very advanced in his
art concepts and under appreciated in his achievement in this area.
He doesn't have too many close friends and they realize he's
surpassed them when he does projects(he's just been exposed to more,
I don't think he's any more naturally advanced) He does draw in
perspective and shadow. I find as I've always done, home projects
with him, we are advancing at home by doing multiplication and
independent research in science and Native people of the Americas.
When I read your post it reminded me of what I went through as a
child and wonder if my son's will take after me. After all my 4 year
old is going on about rotation and the solar system etc. Other 4
year olds are already not playing with him. Is their something to
our kids that sets them out by the exposure at home to certain
principals, philosophies, teaching methods?? Just curious, and
waiting for the teen years.:D
Sandra