Re: All steamed up!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:36:40 -0400

Well I've read some replies and they are quite accurate,but I have a
question? What is the subject of the list serve he is on? Is it an
educators list serve? Just curious.
It is apparent that he had many sleepy boring art history classes
and looks forward to it as much as going to the dentist. I think I
would impress upon him times have changed and on the dawn of a new
century educators have realized many different approaches and
teaching techniques they use to stimulate and involve their students
to many aspects of life/art than just hands on learning. I'd hate to
see what he thought about my teaching 4 year olds vocabulary and
concepts that are usually left for middle school. Obviously it is a
watered down version. Maybe instead of saying art history it is more
like art awareness or art appreciation. In the end you may not
change him, you may also decide it's not worth it to you to take the
time to educate him. If you do you may post a short outline of what
the class would entail,i.e.-10 min. slide/print discussion on an
artists work,integration of artists concepts and subject matter in
his paintings and in your lesson etc. you get the idea. Just explain
it in terms he won't assume it's a lecture in a dark room looking at
200 slides. That's not learning that's a non participating viewing.
You are helping the children use vocabulary and terms in art, they
are able to look at and appreciate art and be able to find the
language (with this class to talk about it. They are training their
eyes to see subject matter and translate it into different format.
Art helps in all disciplines of life.
Sandra